City of Seattle Civil Engineering Specialist, Sr. in Seattle, Washington
Seattle City Light, a department of the City of Seattle, is one of the nation's largest municipally owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
The Generation Operations & Engineering Business Unit has an exciting opportunity for a Sr. Civil Engineer Specialist in the Construction Management Unit. As a construction management professional in this unit, candidates will act as the point of contact for construction contractors and be responsible for the on-site construction contract administration of complex public work s projects. This position will report to a Civil Engineer, Supervisor.
- Participating in pre-bid walk-throughs and constructability reviews;
- Chairing pre-construction meetings;
- Performing and overseeing quality assurance inspections and assuring overall compliance with contract requirements and permits;
- Documenting construction activities through daily reports, photographs, and as-built records;
- Tracking construction progress against schedules;
- Measuring and preparing contractor payment documentation;
- Coordinating design clarifications;
- Assisting the Supervising Engineer in evaluating and formulating responses to claims;
- Assisting the Supervising Engineer in negotiating and preparing contract change orders;
- Coordinating with project stakeholders including contractors, project managers, engineers, consultants, and others;
- Monitoring site safety practices and best work practices to ensure environmental protection, coordinating final inspections and punch lists;
- Completing contractor performance evaluations; and
Occasionally Supervising assistant inspectors. *Work Environment / Physical Demands: *
Work is performed in a normal City work/office environment
- Regular field assignments entail exposure to all types of weather, rugged terrain, heights, traffic, hazardous/toxic substances and work in or near construction sites.
- May be required to lift over 50 pounds.
- May be required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays, dependent on construction project schedules
- Occasional work assignments outside of the City limits such as the Skagit, Boundary and/or Cedar Falls/Tolt Hydroelectric Projects may require travel or temporary work assignment to these locations.
- Overnight travel may be required. Qualifications
Requires four years Civil engineering experience and an Associate Degree in Civil Engineering Technology or two years of college level coursework in engineering and construction technology (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
Certification/License:Current Washington State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
*Desired Qualifications: *
- Thorough knowledge of the principals, practices and procedures of construction management, including the methods, materials, equipment and techniques used in the construction, inspection, and administration of public works contracts. Knowledge of electrical systems construction and maintenance.
- Construction Manager or Project Management certification.
- Familiarity with local, State and Federal regulations as they relate to project safety, environment protection, and general construction practices.
- Experience in claims/risk management strategies.
- Experience in reading and interpreting contract documents and evaluating and tracking construction schedules.
- Ability to foster a collaborative work environment and successfully coordinate the effort of a project team.
- A combination of five years of construction management and/or project management experience preferred.
- Degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering Technology or other combinations of education and experience which prepares the candidate to perform professional construction management work.
- Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel and a working knowledge of scheduling software.
- Excellent written and oral communications.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment with a diverse customer base is essential. Additional Information
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process including the completion of a background check which includes criminal history and driving history review.
Want to know more about Seattle City Light? Check out our web page: http://www.seattle.gov/light/.
Salary: $44.79 - $50.18 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department: Seattle City Light
Job Number: 2018-00318
Closing: 3/27/2018 4:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Seattle
Address: Seattle Municipal Tower 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500 Seattle, Washington, 98104